Air of the Wolf
Ask your parents to download the worksheet for Air of the Wolf. It has some stuff in it that will help you complete the requirements and earn the Air of the Wolf Award.
Air of the Wolf Requirements
The Air is all around us, a gentle breeze, a howling gale or a still afternoon. Learn how you can use the air and play on it with some things you can make on your own like a kite, a paper airplane or capture air in a ballon to power a little boat. You can also use the air to make sounds and even control the flow of air to make musical notes and play songs. Learn about how you can be the master of the air and you will have earned Air of the Wolf!
Complete the following Requirements.
- Conduct two of the following investigations to see how air affects different objects:
- Make a paper airplane and fly it five times. Try to make it fly farther by altering its shape. Fly it at least five more times to see if your changes were effective.
- Make a balloon-powered sled or a balloon powered boat. Test your sled or boat with larger and smaller balloons.
- Bounce a basketball that doesn’t have enough air in it. Then bounce it when it has the right amount of air in it. Do each one 10 times. Describe how the ball bounces differently when the amount of air changes.
Roll a tire or ball that doesn’t have enough air in it, and then roll it again with the right amount of air. Describe differences in how they move.
- Complete two of the following:
- With other members of your den, go outside and record the sounds you hear. Identify which of these sounds is the result of moving air.
- Create a musical wind instrument, and play it as part of a den band.
- With an adult, conduct an investigation on how speed can affect sound.
- Make a kite using household materials. With your den or family, explain the rules for safely flying kites. Fly your kite with friends and family and send it soaring…
- With your family, den, or pack, participate in a kite derby, space derby, or rain gutter regatta. Explain how air helps the vehicle move.