Ask your parents to download the worksheet for Bear Claws. It has some stuff in it that will help you complete the requirements and earn the Bear Claws Award.
Bear Claws Requirements
A Bear has CLAWS! And a Scout has a knife. The most trusted tool you will ever own is your Scout knife. Pick a good one. And then earn Bear Claws so you have the right and permissions to use one. Earn your Whittling Chip by learning how to be safe with your knife and keep yourself and others from harm.
Complete the following requirements.
- Learn about three common designs of pocketknives.
- Learn knife safety and earn your Whittling Chip.*
- Do one of the following:
- Using a pocketknife, carve two items.
- With a pocket knife, safely perform each of these tasks:
- Demonstrate how to cut a piece of rope, twine or fishing line;
- Open a sealed box without damaging the contents;
- Open a can with a can opener tool on a pocket knife;
- Remove and replace the screws on an object with the screw driver tool on a pocket knife;
- Open a letter
*One of the items carved for requirement 3 may be used to fulfill Whittling Chip requirement 3.