Cub Scout Pack 759 | Fur Feathers and Ferns
Fur Feathers and Ferns
Ask your parents to download the worksheet for Fur Feathers and Ferns. It has some stuff in it that will help you complete the requirements and earn the Fur Feathers and Ferns Award.
Fur Feathers and Ferns Requirements
Fur Feathers and Ferns means it’s time to pay attention to the world around you. What kind of wild animals live near your home? Raccoons? Deer? Owls? Bats? Hawks? And what about the vegetation around your parks and along the highways, do you see strips of wildflowers? Start working on Fur, Feathers and Ferns and earn an Award for learning more about your surroundings.
Complete Requirement 1 and three others.
- While hiking or walking for one mile, identify six signs that any mammals, birds, insects, reptiles, or plants are living near the place where you choose to hike or walk.
- Visit one of the following: zoo, wildlife refuge, nature center, aviary, game preserve, local conservation area, wildlife rescue group, or fish hatchery. Describe what you learned during your visit.
- Name one animal that has become extinct in the last 100 years and one animal that is currently endangered. Explain what caused their declines.
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Describe what you saw.
- Use a magnifying glass to examine plants more closely. Describe what you saw through the magnifying glass that you could not see without it.
- Learn about composting and how vegetable waste can be turned into fertilizer for plants.
- Plant a vegetable or herb garden.